Thursday, April 5, 2012

Why didn't somebody tell me about Don Winslow?

I'm a huge nerd and part of being a huge nerd is taking pleasure in reading books. I was a communications and English major in college and as such I tend to gravitate more to fiction a lot more than non-fiction. As I've gotten further away from completing college I notice that I'm reading a lot less literary fiction. I love crime fiction. I love Michael Connely's Harry Bosch series. I even more love Dennis Lehanes Patrick/Angela series.

So a couple of weeks ago I finally got around to reading Savages by Don Winslow. I'd seen the paperback at the store and had been meaning to read it but never gotten around to it. Two words: Holy shit! Savages is pretty spectacular. And I am totally all in on the Don Winslow train.

I devoured Savages in two days (to be fair it's not a long book, only about 300 pages) I bought The Power of the Dog.

I'm in the middle of that one right now and it's certainly a kindred cousin to Savages but more of an epic, sprawling thing with a bunch of seemingly unrelated characters who are going to intersect in unexpected ways. It's a lot like the film Traffic. And it's awesome.

No comments: